One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A coatrack in the hall of a house.
- ‘A visitor to the home could leave a hat, cane, umbrella or wrap on the Victorian hall tree.’
- ‘Mr. Robinson claimed the house was ransacked with furniture either destroyed or stolen - among these goods, a TV, coffee table, hallstand and ornaments.’
- ‘I had secretly taken them the night before from Dad's predictable hiding spot… in the hall tree.’
- ‘He cuffed her ear then proceeded to drag her sneakily through to the entrance hall where a hallstand replete with walking-sticks, canes and umbrellas snarled their progress.’
- ‘But people would not like it; the embarrassment of a dead man's jacket, his baseball cap and panama on the hallstand.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.