One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A binary compound of a halogen with another element or group.
- ‘The chemical elements are grouped into sets in the periodic table (such as halides and alkali metals) based on the chemical behavior they have in common.’
- ‘In covalent halides, such as carbon tetrachloride, the bonding electrons are localized in the carbon-chlorine bonds of the individual molecules.’
- ‘The halides all contain halogen elements, such as chlorine and fluorine.’
- ‘The oxides, hydrides, and halides are volatile covalent compounds that have low melting points.’
- ‘In elimination reactions, larger molecules expel smaller molecules like water, hydrogen halides, carbon dioxide and other diatomic gases to form new substances.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.