One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A northern marine fish which is the largest of the flatfishes and important as a food fish.
Genus Hippoglossus, family Pleuronectidae: H. hippoglossus of the Atlantic and H. stenolepis of the Pacific
- ‘Despite the waiter telling me the ceviche fish would be halibut and salmon, it actually was just scallops.’
- ‘As for the main course, the menu is long and ambitious, at least in terms of the types of fish available: halibut, salmon, orange roughy, and ahi tuna among others, all of which are grilled or pan-fried, as well as bouillabaisse.’
- ‘Two types of Omega 3 fatty acids (EPA and DHA) are found in fatty fish such as salmon, white tuna, mackerel, rainbow trout, herring, halibut and sardines.’
- ‘Salmon, haddock, halibut, bass, cod, mackerel, sardines and tuna contain trace minerals and other nutrients that are not commonly or sufficiently found in our diets.’
- ‘Fatty cold-water fish such as halibut, mackerel, herring, and salmon are good sources of EPA and DHA.’
- ‘As for the fish, the halibut is the best and the most expensive at $7.95 for two good-size fillets, snowy white and delicate and encased in a flavorful golden-brown batter.’
- ‘You'll also find DHA in salmon, halibut, mackerel, sardines and striped bass as well as flaxseed oil and fish oil supplements.’
- ‘Some types of fish - such as cod, tuna or halibut - have less total fat, saturated fat and cholesterol than do meat and poultry.’
- ‘Think of the superb species of fish that come from our coastal waters - salmon, cod, halibut, lobster and sole - added to the freshwater fish such as pickerel, shellfish and whitefish.’
- ‘Common varieties of fish - often eaten raw - include cod, salmon, trout, halibut, and redfish.’
- ‘The Northwest Atlantic's other groundfish include haddock, halibut, pollock, flounder and plaice.’
- ‘The records show how the price, adjusted for inflation, of fish and shellfish, including lobster, swordfish, oysters, halibut, haddock and sole, has climbed as stocks have collapsed.’
- ‘The Cowries also run a fish filleting factory, and family contacts in Scrabster mean they sell a large range of fresh, unsmoked fish - from haddock and halibut to monkfish, mackerel and plaice.’
- ‘Instead, it joins a list of fish like salmon and halibut and catfish that are lower in mercury.’
- ‘These include scallops, shrimp, crab, haddock, cod, pollack, snapper, halibut and white tuna.’
- ‘His taro-dusted halibut with white beans is simply spectacular, the ultimate fish and chips.’
- ‘The EU Fisheries Commission told the Court that Spanish vessels caught almost 10,000 tonnes more fish than they were allowed permission for, including cod, monkfish, halibut and mackerel.’
- ‘The new company would also aim to be in the forefront of developing other species in farmed versions - sturgeon, tilapia, yellowtail, barramundi, halibut, cod, are amongst those mentioned.’
- ‘Populations of cod, haddock, halibut, red drum and yellowtail flounder are at record lows.’
- ‘For the non-fish eaters there's steak and pasta, for example, but most people come here for the fish, and the restaurant focuses on halibut, haddock, cod, pollock, salmon and shellfish, prepared in a variety of ways.’
Late Middle English: from haly ‘holy’ + obsolete butt ‘flatfish’ (because it was often eaten on holy days).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.