One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A foolish or stupid person.
- ‘On my first trip to the pub I am reminded how half a dozen pints can reduce dazzling intellectuals to burbling halfwits.’
- ‘The foot soldiers of this movement are mostly amiable halfwits.’
- ‘It's quite simply that British television is now run by halfwits who are terrified for their jobs and obsessed with youth.’
- ‘And the next thing you know, you've got ignorant halfwits claiming that the ACLU is suing stores to stop them from saying Merry Christmas.’
- ‘Essentially, the sisters' show is a series of sketches set in a stage school which is staffed and attended by grotesques, halfwits and bubble-brained wannabes.’
- ‘He is a cretin's cretin, a halfwit, an ignoramus in every respect.’
- ‘The punchline is that no matter how many times this gets plainly shown to be true, the halfwits keep on using it.’
- ‘They'd love to believe that all the halfwits who listen to Tool actually don't get it, but really they're all listening to them for the same reason.’
- ‘I refuse to hand over my country to a bunch of halfwits who can neither protect us or care for us.’
- ‘Don't get us wrong, the Mercury panel might be a great big collection of dribbling halfwits as far as we know, but at least they know their music.’
- ‘For all the halfwits calling for these people to be fired, do they know how to lay track or fix a subway car?’
- ‘Perhaps we shouldn't be too harsh on the halfwits who came up with these tautological complaints (don't dull, staid and uninteresting mean the same thing?)’
- ‘I always thought that the majority of people posting on Metafilter were halfwits only too eager to jump on a bandwagon.’
- ‘And they sing songs by halfwits like The Eagles and Bryan Adams!’
- ‘It isn't just the Guardian that employs bumbling halfwits, you know.’
- ‘Let's just say we watched a lot of filmstrips because neither of these two halfwits knew a damn thing about the subject they were teaching.’
- ‘Not only are you the idiot of the month, you're the braindead cretin of the month and the muddleheaded halfwit of the month as well.’
- ‘Who are these halfwits they're dredging up for quotes?’
- ‘The climax of the movie, and oh boy is it ever a climax, was when the mayor held a press conference in the middle of the city square, surrounded by a crowd of inbred halfwits ingesting funnel cakes and holding balloons.’
- ‘They didn't have a final confrontation between Gandalf and Sauron, where they sit on a beach playing chess and discussing the fate of halfwits.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.