One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
usually as modifier A reproduction of a photograph or other image in which the various tones of gray or color are produced by variously sized dots of ink.‘halftone illustrations’
picture, drawing, sketch, figure, graphicView synonyms
- ‘Don followed the Audubon Bird Guide series with about 100 half-tone illustrations for a popular book, Our Amazing Birds.’
- ‘The monochrome half-tone process, introduced in 1872, was refined by the end of the 19th cent. to allow full colour reproduction.’
- ‘Many chapters have lovely half-tone illustrations of restored animals or landscapes, by the talented artist Mauricio Anton.’
- ‘Not until 1900, however, did half-tone photographic images become a regular feature of newspapers and magazines.’
- ‘Moreover, the nature of newspapers had changed - full of half-tones and features, and covering these sensational stories more than ever before.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.