One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
usually as modifier A reproduction of a photograph or other image in which the various tones of gray or color are produced by variously sized dots of ink.‘halftone illustrations’
picture, drawing, sketch, figure, graphicView synonyms
- ‘Not until 1900, however, did half-tone photographic images become a regular feature of newspapers and magazines.’
- ‘Don followed the Audubon Bird Guide series with about 100 half-tone illustrations for a popular book, Our Amazing Birds.’
- ‘Moreover, the nature of newspapers had changed - full of half-tones and features, and covering these sensational stories more than ever before.’
- ‘Many chapters have lovely half-tone illustrations of restored animals or landscapes, by the talented artist Mauricio Anton.’
- ‘The monochrome half-tone process, introduced in 1872, was refined by the end of the 19th cent. to allow full colour reproduction.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.