One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A former British coin equal to half an old or new penny. The last halfpenny was withdrawn in 1984.‘seven pennies and three halfpennies’
- ‘They also included a selection of threepenny bits, a 1916 halfpenny and a penny piece from 1921.’
- ‘The penny piece is now worth less in real terms than either the farthing or the decimal halfpenny when they were withdrawn from circulation.’
- ‘The money is a mess of pounds, quids, bobs, shillings, pence, ha'pence, etc that is almost as interesting as a picture puzzle - and about as hard to unravel.’
- ‘A 24-year-old hawker, formerly living in lodgings in Byron Street, Bradford and now of Salford, was found not guilty of silvering 24 pennies and nine halfpennies with intent to make them resemble florins and shillings.’
- ‘Many were the pennies and halfpennies he used to collect, though I'm sorry to say that I and the other lads used to make fun of him.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.