Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
adverb & adjective
Costing half the normal price.as adjective ‘half-price admission’
- ‘Special promotions like the October to April First Stop York By Train Campaign, which offered half-price admission into York's attractions, were aimed at developing off-peak business.’
- ‘This proof-of-age card, which allows holders to travel half-price on public transport, is automatically issued to all youngsters through their schools.’
- ‘Staying put is still cheaper than buying half-price tickets.’
- ‘With the way cleared for its £40 million survival package, Aer Lingus has launched a price war by offering over 500,000 half-price seats between January and the end of March.’
- ‘Additional crowd pleasers are the restaurant's daily Hoppy Hour, which features half-price appetizers and discounted beer, and BJ's 1/2 gallon growler to go.’
Half the usual price.‘many shoes at half price’
- ‘Hamman had offered to sell Cardiff shirts for half-price to fans who traded in an English club shirt - the trade-ins were then to be burned on the Ninian Park pitch.’
- ‘Plus, if you buy one marked-down sample pair from the display wall, you get the second sample pair for half-price.’
- ‘For computer users looking for entertainment, there are sports and action games, some of them available at half-price.’
- ‘Supporters who bought season tickets for the 2003-04 campaign at half-price are to be asked to make a further contribution to the football club.’
- ‘The City chairman said he was continuing to hold talks with a number of potential sponsors but was still not able to name the sponsor that had made it possible for him to sell season tickets for next season at half-price.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.