One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An area of floor approximately halfway up a flight of stairs, typically where it turns a corner.
- ‘A single-flight stair to one side links all levels, with the shop and home sharing a half landing through a connecting door, and an attic level ‘store room’ doubles as a curious penthouse sleeping cell for guests.’
- ‘Access to the building is by lift and two aluminium staircases both of which are hinged from their half landing to the ground so that when the building is empty it can be secured by raising the stairs.’
- ‘Door frames are intricately carved and stained glass, above the half landing and around the main door, is colourful and detailed.’
- ‘Most of the gallery could be accessed by lift, but there were a number of ‘half landings’ where wheelchair access would have been impossible.’
- ‘The imposing entrance hall has two arched windows to the rear, original panelled doors and a wide staircase leading to a half landing with stained glass circular window.’
- ‘Consider also the fact that Arabella and Zdenka's Act I duet, ‘Er ist der richtige’, takes place with them standing on the half landing.’
- ‘A wooden staircase and handcrafted balustrade leads to the first floor, past a leaded and stained glass window above the half landing, a replacement for one that was blown out in the 1970s.’
- ‘Off this, to the right of the stage was a sort of half landing coming forward, whose primary purpose seemed to be to allow the producer an alternative location to place singers, high above the stage.’
- ‘The main staircase of the wonderfully converted new Guinness Storehouse is cracked on every half landing.’
- ‘The sauna is off the half landing while on the first floor are the five bedrooms.’
- ‘A wide staircase with the original balustrade leads to the first floor, past a full-width stained glass window on the half landing.’
- ‘Visitors to this new courtroom must climb 17 steps (passing a sort of monumental pod on the half landing when pausing for breath).’
- ‘Seemingly, she stands on the half landing and looks down the stairs for a few seconds before disappearing.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.