One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A boot that reaches up to the calf.
gumboot, wellington, wader, walking boot, riding boot, field boot, jackboot, thigh boot, half-boot, ankle boot, pixie boot, chelsea boot, balmoral, desert boot, moon boot, snow bootView synonyms
- ‘Boots and half-boots often had fur adornments and were extremely colourful, but comfort was equally as important.’
- ‘The clothing was as plain as it could possibly be, almost severe, and he had forgone the customary heeled shoes in favor of military half-boots.’
- ‘Created by Hunter of Scotland for the Royal Horticultural Society, these wellies, half-boots and clogs feature three different watercolor studies by British artist Bryan Poole.’
- ‘Certainly it will be with this blissfully cool and light half-boot.’
- ‘During the years 1813-1815, the hems are a bit shorter, allowing a view of half-boots or sandals laced up the ankle.’
- ‘Fugawee's laced half-boot is a left-right model of the Hi-Lo Trekker.’
- ‘The half-boot is a right and left lace-up boot that comes in both rough black and rough natural and sizes 7 to 15 (D and EE Widths only).’
- ‘My 4' 9'' powerhouse of a grandmother, Iris, always in an apron, with sturdy lace-up half-boots, is long gone, and with it her recipe.’
- ‘The rough-out half-boot was topped with a canvas legging that inspired monumental and creative cursing when it had to be laced in a hurry.’
- ‘So since Christmas of 2006 - I have ordered another pair of the simple poke half-boots.’
- ‘Caligula was the nickname given to him by soldiers because from a few years old he used to wear the miniature uniform of a private soldier, which included the half-boot known as a caliga, and caligula is a familiar diminutive of this word, effectively naming him ‘little half-boot’.’
- ‘Dogs are not generally apt to revenge injuries inflicted upon them by their masters; but Mr. Sikes's dog, having faults of temper in common with his owner, and labouring, perhaps, at this moment, under a powerful sense of injury, made no more ado but at once fixed his teeth in one of the half-boots.’
- ‘This coloured silk embroidery decorates the sides and toes of a pair of women's half-boots of the 1880s.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.