One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in ball games, especially tennis) a strike of the ball made immediately after it bounces off the ground.
- ‘After 34 minutes they forced a corner that Leeds cleared only to the edge of the area, where Julian Gray struck a crisp half-volley that found the net via a deflection from Mills.’
- ‘And while Redha Tukar almost levelled immediately with a half-volley, it was the Ukrainians who looked the more likely to add to the scoring as the Saudis panicked whenever the European side pushed forward.’
- ‘He's an aggressive fast-medium bowler who gets the Australians playing shots - short balls, bad balls, yorkers, half-volleys - and so far they are forever picking out the man just inside the ropes.’
- ‘Having hit the side-netting as he latched onto Ferreira's pass, he struck a half-volley from the edge of the area that Kirkland managed to take the pace off before Harry Kewell headed off the line.’
- ‘Nick Fitzgerald sent forward a long ball which was flicked on by Tony O'Keeffe to Ger McGonigle, but his half-volley struck on the turn was saved by Abbey goalkeeper Martin Ward.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.