One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in ball games, especially tennis) a strike of the ball made immediately after it bounces off the ground.
- ‘Nick Fitzgerald sent forward a long ball which was flicked on by Tony O'Keeffe to Ger McGonigle, but his half-volley struck on the turn was saved by Abbey goalkeeper Martin Ward.’
- ‘After 34 minutes they forced a corner that Leeds cleared only to the edge of the area, where Julian Gray struck a crisp half-volley that found the net via a deflection from Mills.’
- ‘He's an aggressive fast-medium bowler who gets the Australians playing shots - short balls, bad balls, yorkers, half-volleys - and so far they are forever picking out the man just inside the ropes.’
- ‘Having hit the side-netting as he latched onto Ferreira's pass, he struck a half-volley from the edge of the area that Kirkland managed to take the pace off before Harry Kewell headed off the line.’
- ‘And while Redha Tukar almost levelled immediately with a half-volley, it was the Ukrainians who looked the more likely to add to the scoring as the Saudis panicked whenever the European side pushed forward.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.