Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A military or other vehicle with wheels at the front and caterpillar tracks at the rear.
- ‘The half-tracks replied by opening fire with their 75 mm guns.’
- ‘Commanding from a half-track in the Six-Day War, the book discusses Gonen's temper, and the real-world experience of commanding an army versus a brigade from a bunker.’
- ‘The 194th Tank Battalion was commanded by Lieutenant Colonel Ernest B. Miller and was comprised of M3 tanks, half-tracks, jeeps, and motorcycles.’
- ‘The festival will begin on Friday, September 10, as military vehicles including tanks, half-tracks, lorries, jeeps and guns begin arriving in Morecambe.’
- ‘More commonly, lorries, half-tracks, and APCs have carried the infantryman onto the battlefield, and the MICV can now carry him across it.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.