One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A canopy extending over half the length of a bed.
- ‘My bed had a fruity garland carved in the footboard and a half-tester dripping with lace overhead.’
- ‘This had been Toby's room, so it was furnished with a tapestry half-tester over the king-size bed.’
- 1.1 A bed with a canopy extending over half the length of the bed.
- ‘Just visible in the photograph is the foot of an American half-tester cherry bed of about 1850, which was part of the furnishings at Lochinvar plantation in Pontotoc County, Mississippi.’
- ‘On the second floor is daughter Mary's bedroom and her half-tester style bed.’
- ‘Visitors can choose rooms with four poster, half-tester or antique brass beds and all are decorated to a very high standard.’
- ‘The main feature of each room is either a four-poster or half-tester bed, all adorned with inviting monogrammed white linen sheets and pillows.’
- ‘It dates from 1350, and it feels like it: no trendy urban chic here, but four-posters and half-testers, high beamed ceilings and a profusion of heraldic crests on bare stone walls (they're 7ft thick, you know).’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.