One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A canopy extending over half the length of a bed.
- ‘My bed had a fruity garland carved in the footboard and a half-tester dripping with lace overhead.’
- ‘This had been Toby's room, so it was furnished with a tapestry half-tester over the king-size bed.’
- 1.1 A bed with a canopy extending over half the length of the bed.
- ‘On the second floor is daughter Mary's bedroom and her half-tester style bed.’
- ‘The main feature of each room is either a four-poster or half-tester bed, all adorned with inviting monogrammed white linen sheets and pillows.’
- ‘Visitors can choose rooms with four poster, half-tester or antique brass beds and all are decorated to a very high standard.’
- ‘It dates from 1350, and it feels like it: no trendy urban chic here, but four-posters and half-testers, high beamed ceilings and a profusion of heraldic crests on bare stone walls (they're 7ft thick, you know).’
- ‘Just visible in the photograph is the foot of an American half-tester cherry bed of about 1850, which was part of the furnishings at Lochinvar plantation in Pontotoc County, Mississippi.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.