One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The position of a flag which is being flown below the top of its staff as a mark of respect for a person who has died.‘flags around the city flew at half-staff’
- ‘According to the radio station I was listening to, NASA has lowered its flags to half-staff.’
- ‘The flag in her memory is now being flown at half-staff over the US Congress.’
- ‘The blue United Nations flag with its white map of the world was lowered to half-staff.’
- ‘The governor ordered all flags in Texas to be lowered to half-staff in tribute to the victims.’
- ‘All flags at city buildings were lowered to half-staff in his honor.’
- ‘The American flag outside the white clapboard town hall was lowered to half-staff.’
- ‘All eight flags of the countries represented here are flying at half-staff tonight.’
- ‘Police officers lowered the flag outside their headquarters to half-staff.’
- ‘On May 5, 1866, the village was decorated with flags at half-staff.’
- ‘At the start of the ceremony, the flag was flying at half-staff in the former president's memory.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.