Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A petticoat that hangs from the waist.‘a satin half-slip and camisole’
slip, underskirt, half-slip, underslip, undergarmentView synonyms
- ‘I'm also wearing a black half-slip.’
- ‘In the TV documentary Psycho - The First Time, a woman recalls that Marion's bra and half-slip was as big a shock to her as the shower scene.’
- ‘She must have gotten some new things because I had never seen this camisole and half-slip before.’
- ‘Taking my elbow, she guided me around women engaged in heated discussions about the price of half-slips.’
- ‘The movies from this era were particularly moralizing: footage of girls in bras and half-slips and some super-sleazy guy, wrapped up as tales of perversion and consequence.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.