Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A sister with whom one has only one parent in common.
- ‘It's a little tricky when you're talking about your parents because I have half-sisters and half-brothers.’
- ‘He had a sister, Charlotte, 24, a half-sister Catherine, 12, and a half-brother Christopher, nine.’
- ‘He remarried and I found out I had four half-sisters and five half-brothers and countless aunts and uncles.’
- ‘There is a lot of affection and love between the sisters, or half-sisters, and even between the detective and Ryan's character.’
- ‘Maria and Erin are my sisters - half-sisters, that is.’
- ‘Flora, who has three half-sisters whom she has also never met, added that she would one day like to meet them too.’
- ‘I have a sister McKenzie, half-sister Kathy, stepsister Heather and stepbrother Bret.’
- ‘And I had great sisters that I grew up with, Tracey and Sandy, who were my half-sisters, but were my sisters growing up.’
- ‘My father remarried some years ago, with Sandrine, and they got another child, a daughter, my half-sister Jeanne.’
- ‘Imagine you're the daughter of a modernist painter and writer, and the half-sister of an established music star.’
- ‘The film is about two half-sisters, one of whom has a psychological problem.’
- ‘Some time during the war, probably in 1944, they had a child, a daughter; my half-sister.’
- ‘He was said to be the father of Modred by his half-sister Morgawse; his sister was Anna.’
- ‘And I didn't have a dollar because my parents never gave my brother, my half-sister and me allowances.’
- ‘In the case of Adriana, a tourist delivered a letter to her half-sister in Houston, whom she had never met.’
- ‘True's real-life parents are divorced and she has a younger half-sister.’
- ‘For his letter leaves the impression that the author of Childe Harold had no daughter by his half-sister, Augusta.’
- ‘I have half-brothers and half-sisters from my parents' previous marriages, and they're all much older than me.’
- ‘He sits down with his two half-sisters to talk about their father's funeral, at which they met for the first time, and from which Kahn's wife tried to exclude Kahn's two illegitimate children and their mothers.’
- ‘He had two half-brothers and two half-sisters, all of whom remained on the mainland when his parents left for Hong Kong.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.