One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a plant) able to grow outdoors at all times except in severe frost.‘a half-hardy annual’
- ‘Many pinks are hardy perennials, while others are half-hardy and grown as annuals.’
- ‘Begin to harden off half-hardy plants in a cold frame or tucked under a sheltering wall outside.’
- ‘These peppers are half-hardy annuals, easy to grow from seed.’
- ‘The awful thing is that they are all perfectly acceptable names for the same old-fashioned and rather modest little half-hardy perennial plant that used to be seen in garden flower borders all over.’
- ‘They raise roughly 4,500 hardy and half-hardy annual bedding plants each year from seed for containers and various areas of the garden including the box parterre.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.