Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a plant) able to grow outdoors at all times except in severe frost.‘a half-hardy annual’
- ‘These peppers are half-hardy annuals, easy to grow from seed.’
- ‘They raise roughly 4,500 hardy and half-hardy annual bedding plants each year from seed for containers and various areas of the garden including the box parterre.’
- ‘Begin to harden off half-hardy plants in a cold frame or tucked under a sheltering wall outside.’
- ‘Many pinks are hardy perennials, while others are half-hardy and grown as annuals.’
- ‘The awful thing is that they are all perfectly acceptable names for the same old-fashioned and rather modest little half-hardy perennial plant that used to be seen in garden flower borders all over.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.