One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a plant) able to grow outdoors at all times except in severe frost.‘a half-hardy annual’
- ‘Begin to harden off half-hardy plants in a cold frame or tucked under a sheltering wall outside.’
- ‘They raise roughly 4,500 hardy and half-hardy annual bedding plants each year from seed for containers and various areas of the garden including the box parterre.’
- ‘The awful thing is that they are all perfectly acceptable names for the same old-fashioned and rather modest little half-hardy perennial plant that used to be seen in garden flower borders all over.’
- ‘These peppers are half-hardy annuals, easy to grow from seed.’
- ‘Many pinks are hardy perennials, while others are half-hardy and grown as annuals.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.