Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Unfinished or only partly completed.‘the movie feels incomplete and half-finished’
unfinished, uncompleted, not finished, not completed, half-finished, half-done, half-completed, partially finished, partially complete, partial, not concludedView synonyms
- ‘No-one returned her calls, faxes or messages and the work was left half-finished.’
- ‘The result is something that feels half-finished, never fully realized or complete.’
- ‘There were cans of beer on the table and plates of rice and stewed meat left half-finished on the floor.’
- ‘Everything is as they left it - a still-damp toothbrush, dirty clothes in the hamper, a book half-finished.’
- ‘I have all these ideas and half-finished scenarios in my head.’
- ‘Many of the works were created in the top-floor studio, which was piled with half-finished canvases.’
- ‘Isabelle flicked her head towards me and I raised my half-finished martini in a salute.’
- ‘I applaud them for doing the right thing, but the job's only half-finished.’
- ‘Until the new homes are built, residents believe the 680-acre site will still appear half-finished.’
- ‘A half-finished bottle of red wine rests in the middle of the dance floor beside an abandoned pair of silver heels.’
- ‘As I stared at my half-finished cup of tea, I felt a certain sense of betrayal.’
- ‘He's rather like the bright kid in the class who gets bored easily and leaves his homework half-finished.’
- ‘At first glance, Ryan's drawings look like half-finished sketches, with faint pencil marks still visible in the finished picture.’
- ‘Elderly residents have been left for weeks with half-finished kitchens and bathrooms, property has been damaged and some work badly bodged.’
- ‘While clearly a charming and witty person, most of his exchanges with the audience seemed a bit fumbling and half-finished.’
- ‘A plate with a half-finished sandwich lay next to her boots.’
- ‘Her familiar neighbor is not home, but she sees a man and woman pulling out from a half-finished cabin and asks for their help.’
- ‘On the patients' bedside tables sit the usual visiting hour stashes of mouldy grapes and packets of sweets alongside half-finished bottles of Lucozade.’
- ‘Tools, brushes, books, as well as half-finished statues and paintings, had been thrown to the floor.’
- ‘My diary entries from that period are full of half-finished sentences.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.