One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A brother with whom one has only one parent in common.
- ‘By the time I was 18, the family, which now included my two half-brothers, Alexander and Patrick, had lived in 18 houses.’
- ‘He had two half-brothers and two half-sisters, all of whom remained on the mainland when his parents left for Hong Kong.’
- ‘So Christina found out that her cousin, to whom she has always been close, is really her half-brother.’
- ‘Our family's riddled with divorce and I have seven brothers or half-brothers and mum raised us pretty much singled-handed.’
- ‘He remarried and I found out I had four half-sisters and five half-brothers and countless aunts and uncles.’
- ‘Jean had a brother and two half-brothers, really big guys who were our ‘comprehensive insurance policy’ in the neighbourhood.’
- ‘The author of this book, the only child of this marriage, is thus fifty years younger than his two half-brothers.’
- ‘I was actually put back in touch with my two long-lost half-brothers because of all this.’
- ‘He had a younger brother who was my age, three half-sisters, two half-brothers, a step-sister, and a step-brother, and Walker was two years older than me.’
- ‘My two sons who live in Bury, Barry's half-brothers, are devastated by his death.’
- ‘I can at least say that I have 2 half-brothers I can be proud of.’
- ‘Down the line, it may be helpful for them to meet, especially if there are half-brothers and sisters involved.’
- ‘My dad's first wife and my half-brothers are here visiting from Jamaica, and I'm looking forward to seeing them.’
- ‘It's a little tricky when you're talking about your parents because I have half-sisters and half-brothers.’
- ‘Both parents had children from previous relationships - which Bruno seems rather vague about - and he had two half-sisters and two half-brothers as well as his full sister.’
- ‘She added: ‘And with regard to my two boys, it shows that they are not just half-brothers but brothers.’’
- ‘One of my half-brothers called to see if I was all right.’
- ‘Jack also discovered he has five half-brothers and sisters as Daniels, who died 16 years ago, had married three times.’
- ‘I have half-brothers and half-sisters from my parents' previous marriages, and they're all much older than me.’
- ‘Morris stayed in Europe until 1799, earning the money that would enable him to buy the Morris estate from his half-brothers.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.