One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A solution sprayed on to a person's hair to keep it in place.
- ‘Instead, use shampoos, conditioners and hairsprays specially formulated for synthetic wigs.’
- ‘Simply brush your hair and apply a bit of hairspray while your hair is still wet.’
- ‘Hair gels and hairspray can irritate your face if they are put near the hairline.’
- ‘It actually only took about an hour and a lot of hairspray to get my hair curly enough.’
- ‘I hadn't taken my hair down from the wedding and spent probably twenty minutes trying to dislodge bobby pins from hairspray.’
- ‘I turned off the hairdryer and sprayed some hairspray in it lightly, running my fingers through it to give the waves a cute, messy look.’
- ‘Their hairdos are miracles of invention and peroxide, with enough hairspray on them to stop a palm tree rustling in a hurricane.’
- ‘If you're out for a big night and want some serious volume, spray some super-hold hairspray at the crown of your head and backcomb your hair to give it an extra lift.’
- ‘Spray your fingertips with hairspray, then dig to your scalp, raising your fingers every couple seconds to lift your hair.’
- ‘I woke up, got dressed, curled my hair with gel and hairspray, got on my bus, got off and went to breakfast.’
- ‘Each section was then sprayed with hairspray again to help the hair stay sleek.’
- ‘I send him out to go and buy me some hairspray and some setting lotion for my hair.’
- ‘She tied the mass of curls in place with a silver scrunchie and sprayed it lightly with hairspray.’
- ‘The new range is a move away from the irons and includes hair treatments, ceramic brushes, shampoos, conditioners, hairsprays, and styling gels.’
- ‘Spritzing yourself with canned hairspray or deodorant used to top the list of perceived environmental sins.’
- ‘Always apply hairspray, perfume, and deodorant before you dress and let it dry completely.’
- ‘Apply makeup, perfume and hairspray before putting on your jewellery.’
- ‘I stood up and she pushed a strand of my hair back into place, attacking it with hairspray.’
- ‘This makes me use a great deal of gel and hairspray to keep it from sticking straight up.’
- ‘Her hair was stiff with gel and hairspray and never seemed to move.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.