One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A solution sprayed on to a person's hair to keep it in place.
- ‘Apply makeup, perfume and hairspray before putting on your jewellery.’
- ‘Always apply hairspray, perfume, and deodorant before you dress and let it dry completely.’
- ‘This makes me use a great deal of gel and hairspray to keep it from sticking straight up.’
- ‘Spray your fingertips with hairspray, then dig to your scalp, raising your fingers every couple seconds to lift your hair.’
- ‘Her hair was stiff with gel and hairspray and never seemed to move.’
- ‘Spritzing yourself with canned hairspray or deodorant used to top the list of perceived environmental sins.’
- ‘I woke up, got dressed, curled my hair with gel and hairspray, got on my bus, got off and went to breakfast.’
- ‘If you're out for a big night and want some serious volume, spray some super-hold hairspray at the crown of your head and backcomb your hair to give it an extra lift.’
- ‘Each section was then sprayed with hairspray again to help the hair stay sleek.’
- ‘The new range is a move away from the irons and includes hair treatments, ceramic brushes, shampoos, conditioners, hairsprays, and styling gels.’
- ‘It actually only took about an hour and a lot of hairspray to get my hair curly enough.’
- ‘Hair gels and hairspray can irritate your face if they are put near the hairline.’
- ‘She tied the mass of curls in place with a silver scrunchie and sprayed it lightly with hairspray.’
- ‘I send him out to go and buy me some hairspray and some setting lotion for my hair.’
- ‘I stood up and she pushed a strand of my hair back into place, attacking it with hairspray.’
- ‘Instead, use shampoos, conditioners and hairsprays specially formulated for synthetic wigs.’
- ‘Their hairdos are miracles of invention and peroxide, with enough hairspray on them to stop a palm tree rustling in a hurricane.’
- ‘Simply brush your hair and apply a bit of hairspray while your hair is still wet.’
- ‘I turned off the hairdryer and sprayed some hairspray in it lightly, running my fingers through it to give the waves a cute, messy look.’
- ‘I hadn't taken my hair down from the wedding and spent probably twenty minutes trying to dislodge bobby pins from hairspray.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.