One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A piece of fine mesh fabric for confining the hair.
- ‘Chips from the polish may fall into your food, as might hair if a hairnet is not worn.’
- ‘A large woman on the opposite side of the glass shield, sporting a near-oversized white apron and a hairnet over her curly hair, took a spoonful and poured it into a bowl, then handed it over the protective glass.’
- ‘It isn't just the sausage and bacon that make this place oily; it's the tables and chairs, the dusty potted plants in the window and the grumpy waitresses with their dinner lady hairnets.’
- ‘A slightly heavy set lady with gray-brown hair neatly tucked under a hairnet approaches the two young adults pulling out a slip of paper tucked into her batter-covered apron.’
- ‘You stand naked in a booth, after covering toes, feet and hands with barrier cream and placing a hairnet over your hair, and press the green button to activate the tanning spray.’
- ‘The food was served by women in turquoise, nylon uniforms, their hair tucked up under hairnets and plastic shower caps.’
- ‘I have to wear a red and white striped apron and my hair pulled back into a hairnet.’
- ‘The only drawback is you gotta wear one of those old-lady hairnets.’
- ‘Men in white overalls and hairnets walk between the sheds.’
- ‘‘I was the woman in the hairnet serving ice cream,’ she recalls.’
- ‘They had donned hairnets and gloves to gather DNA samples not previously submitted.’
- ‘My daily dinner money was nearer 15p, and for that I got a plateful of real food, lovingly produced on the premises by battleaxes in pink hairnets.’
- ‘Her hair was pulled into two neat buns on either side of the back of her head, and covered with hairnets.’
- ‘Technicians in white coats, latex gloves, and hairnets walk the halls and move about the lab purposefully.’
- ‘Grandma's tall, gray wig was removed from her head, revealing what was presumably long, black hair scrunched up into a hairnet.’
- ‘And added she used two hairnets so it's more ‘secure’.’
- ‘The satiny chain-link pouches add a spot of granny chic to your wardrobe without making you look like you're on the fast track to bad perfume, hairnets, elastic waistbands, and orthopedic shoes.’
- ‘A scary woman with white hair and a hairnet was staring me down as I clutched my lunch tray.’
- ‘She then took of her helmet and pulled off her hairnet.’
- ‘As the workers stared dumfounded at the pipe, young girls in pea-green hairnets were passing out pea-green gloves to members of the pea-green battalion.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.