One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘In feeding blue butterflies, the wings are held slightly open to allow body basking, augmented by the hairiness of the dark body.’
- ‘A full description makes you take things more slowly: count stamens, measure sepals, check smoothness or hairiness and so on.’
- ‘There are other unwelcome side effects, including increased hairiness and acne.’
- ‘The software provides realistic sensations for 10 textures - softness, fullness, smoothness, hairiness, prickliness, drape, thickness, elasticity, rigidity and warmth.’
- ‘And of course that's still true in modern women and you can say that the differential between men and women in hairiness is a function of perhaps somewhat greater selection of mates by the men than the women.’
- ‘Previous studies in multiple plant species have shown an association of both pigmentation and hairiness with cool temperatures.’
- ‘It's surprising how many people are unaccustomed to hairiness.’
- ‘The groundbreaking computer graphics that made the original show so spellbinding have been improved to depict all the pesky hairiness of mammals.’
- ‘As a young man I observed extreme hairiness on older people (mainly men) but didn't realise it might happen to me in time.’
- ‘Reported side effects include acne, hairiness and mood changes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.