One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A band for securing or tying back one's hair.
- ‘She is wearing blue eye liner and blue eye shadow and blue lip gloss and she has her hair tied up high with a blue hairband and two blue barrettes holding her hair in place.’
- ‘He confiscated her hairband as insurance of a future meeting.’
- ‘The girls in second class are very fashion conscious with their hairbands.’
- ‘No metal is used in the production of the allegedly innovative hairbands and clips, which come in a variety of shapes, sizes and colours.’
- ‘He pulled it as tight as he could again, and reapplied the black hairband.’
- ‘I'll be working with new summer-weight yarns and new styles - socks, shawls, cashmere and lambswool sweaters, even hairbands.’
- ‘They sported tank tops, identical hairbands and identical shiny hair.’
- ‘I have also discovered a large collection of Asian male students wearing hairbands.’
- ‘She was wearing a beautiful dress with a hairband to match it and gold boots to set it off.’
- ‘Grimacing with annoyance, she tugged the end of her hair, her fingers curling round her favourite blue and silver hairband.’
- ‘Rolling her eyes, she put a hairband in her hair, and headed out of the bedroom.’
- ‘I even made a catty remark about her hairband back in 1992, for which I'm truly sorry.’
- ‘She saw an exhausted waitress, blonde and dull-faced with a black hairband and clips put in her hair.’
- ‘Are you allowed to have a mullet if you also where a hairband - where do you draw the line?’
- ‘She had diamonds in her hairband.’
- ‘Two more seed pearls hung from her ear lobes while a white silk hairband restrained her curly hair.’
- ‘There was the hairband in her hair, that was her mother's, too.’
- ‘One has brought along some curious lilac fluffy spheres attached to a hairband, which she informs me are earmuffs.’
- ‘When plaits are not structured in graceful arches on the head, they are used as natural hairbands.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.