One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A Muslim who knows the Koran by heart.
- ‘The completion of the Qur'an is indeed an act of great merit and virtue and the hafiz may be congratulated for that.’
- ‘The men began singing in Pashto, while Yasin - who is a hafiz, which means he has memorized the entire Koran - translated for me.’
- ‘Now I have decided to become a hafiz so that I can make sure nobody does anything wrong.’
- ‘Reciting Quranic verses from memory just like a hafiz, the doctor says that there are many verses in the Quran which bring relief to pain.’
- ‘Committing the Qur'an to memory acted as a great aid for its preservation and any person who is able to accomplish this is known as a hafiz.’
Persian, from Arabic ḥāfiẓ ‘guardian’, from ḥāfiẓa ‘guard, know by heart’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.