One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A riding jacket, often tweed, with a tight waist, flared skirt, slits at the side or back, and slanted pockets with flaps.
- ‘I knew that the figure of Nancy Spain, with her uncoiffeured hair, well-cut hacking jacket, open-necked shirt and rakish cravat, gave me a warm glow.’
- ‘This navy herringbone-weave linen 3-button hacking jacket sports natural horn buttons, a button tab throat latch, and a blue felt under collar.’
- ‘Close behind the red-jacketed men came stout ladies in dog-tooth hacking jackets.’
- ‘He had a tattoo on his neck and was talking to an older, posher looking man with a moustache, a hacking jacket and brown suede gloves.’
- ‘Saddles, collars, boots, hacking jackets, grooming brushes, horsey lotions and potions and generally anything to do with kitting out yourself and your horse is here.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.