One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A riding jacket, often tweed, with a tight waist, flared skirt, slits at the side or back, and slanted pockets with flaps.
- ‘Close behind the red-jacketed men came stout ladies in dog-tooth hacking jackets.’
- ‘Saddles, collars, boots, hacking jackets, grooming brushes, horsey lotions and potions and generally anything to do with kitting out yourself and your horse is here.’
- ‘This navy herringbone-weave linen 3-button hacking jacket sports natural horn buttons, a button tab throat latch, and a blue felt under collar.’
- ‘He had a tattoo on his neck and was talking to an older, posher looking man with a moustache, a hacking jacket and brown suede gloves.’
- ‘I knew that the figure of Nancy Spain, with her uncoiffeured hair, well-cut hacking jacket, open-necked shirt and rakish cravat, gave me a warm glow.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.