One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Annoy or infuriate someone.
annoy, irritate, vex, make angry, make cross, anger, exasperate, irk, gall, pique, put out, displease, get someone's back up, put someone's back up, antagonize, get on someone's nerves, rub up the wrong way, ruffle, ruffle someone's feathers, make someone's hackles rise, raise someone's hacklesView synonyms
- ‘Congratulations - not only have you lost a regular customer, you've also hacked him off enough that he'll tell all his friends and colleagues not to use them.’
- ‘The Government is hacked off that people are not very grateful.’
- ‘I had no business bidding anyway and it's better I lost, but the winner, a woman with money who's cornered the memorabilia market, hacks me off all the same.’
- ‘If someone hacks me off now I have to tell them, because resentment leads to anxiety which leads to depression.’
- ‘Okay, I'm a country gal and sometimes stuff hacks me off.’
- ‘It's the smug exclamation mark that really hacks me off.’
- ‘And for those of us who'd want a game to show some semblance of purity, perhaps a little self-restraint, at least a touch of professionalism, does this deepening morass hack you off?’
- ‘Casablanca is often called the finest Hollywood film of all time, which has always really hacked me off, I've never highly rated the thing.’
- ‘But really the only winners were the French and they were hacked off with the English weather, especially when they eventually reached Carlisle.’
- ‘‘It's beginning to really hack me off,’ she confesses.’
- ‘Well, there was a whole heap of hacks and they were hacked off for a whole heap of reasons.’
- ‘It's an important issue for us women, and for a man, any man, to feel uncomfortable about her discussing it hacks her off.’
- ‘Car culture per se puts my teeth on edge, but TV ads for cars tend to be part of the more visible opinion formation/reflection mechanism and hence hack me off.’
- ‘Is it me or does it hack you off when some nobody scoots off with our claret jug?’
- ‘When they did manage to win against us, they were so arrogant with their parading round the ground, it hacked us off.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.