Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(in Spanish-speaking regions) a large estate or plantation with a dwelling house.
plantation, farm, holdingView synonyms
- ‘Silver-mining was only part of a sophisticated Mexican economy with large-scale farming and ranching on great estates called haciendas and a considerable amount of manufacturing in small workshops.’
- ‘Spanish settlers established haciendas in the lower part of the valley.’
- ‘Villas here tend to be clustered into gated estates, but if you want something more authentically Mexican, try a hacienda.’
- ‘We drove on one hill and saw sprawling haciendas, with very high walls enclosing them and enormous gateways.’
- ‘The discovery of oil in the 1970s might have brought new prosperity, but in fact the mass of the population remained poor and illiterate, with the great haciendas surviving intact.’
- ‘Indigenous people in Chimborazo who were unable to meet their tribute or whose land was expropriated eventually became tied to the region's haciendas in a system of debt servitude that lasted until an agrarian reform in 1964.’
- ‘Both groups were brought in to work as rural laborers in the large hacienda / estate holdings.’
- ‘In addition, an ill-prepared but nevertheless aggressive land reform resulted in the breakup of the hacienda estates and brought chaos to the countryside.’
- ‘Most of these worked as domestics and laborers in urban areas, although some toiled on rural farms and haciendas.’
- ‘All over, you'll find the dramatically dilapidated shells of haciendas - the former homes of the conquistadors, where plantation, processing plant and stately home were one and the same.’
Spanish, from Latin facienda things to be done from facere make, do (see fazenda).
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.