One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The owner of a hacienda.
- ‘Yucatecan hacendados were quick to exploit this by financing and co-opting anarchosyndicalist unions, local leaders, and electoral candidates who opposed the agrarian reform.’
- ‘Those in control of their haciendas, called hacendados, treated people on their lands by a system known in the Sierra as the huasipungo (described by western scholars as ‘landed slavery’).’
- ‘This prevented the emergence of a privileged hacendado class as in other Latin societies.’
- ‘Given her physical attributes and costume, the the doll looks like the daughter of a rich Spaniard hacendado on the island.’
- ‘The cause, it seems, rested with the local hacendados or estate owners who had changed the natural course of the river with dams ‘causing damage in times of floods.’’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.