One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The owner of a hacienda.
- ‘The cause, it seems, rested with the local hacendados or estate owners who had changed the natural course of the river with dams ‘causing damage in times of floods.’’
- ‘Yucatecan hacendados were quick to exploit this by financing and co-opting anarchosyndicalist unions, local leaders, and electoral candidates who opposed the agrarian reform.’
- ‘Given her physical attributes and costume, the the doll looks like the daughter of a rich Spaniard hacendado on the island.’
- ‘Those in control of their haciendas, called hacendados, treated people on their lands by a system known in the Sierra as the huasipungo (described by western scholars as ‘landed slavery’).’
- ‘This prevented the emergence of a privileged hacendado class as in other Latin societies.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.