One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
General constitution, especially bodily build.
- ‘Therefore, this class-specific, gendered habitus would operate across the public/private divide.’
- ‘Hybrids are most easily recognizable by their intermediate habitus.’
- ‘If the procedure is planned in advance, an enterostomal therapy nurse will mark a location on the patient's abdomen that matches the patient's contours, waist and belt line, and body habitus.’
- ‘During pregnancy, a woman undergoes many physiological and hormonal changes that can alter her metabolism and body habitus.’
- ‘He doesn't have the body habitus for severe sleep apnea.’
- ‘The officials, from the same habitus as the runners, control the sport and impose penalties when they detect infringements of the rules.’
- ‘Physiologic changes in the elder habitus often affect the dosing and choice of medication.’
- ‘The accuracy of ultrasonography greatly depends on operator experience and maternal body habitus.’
- ‘He had a thin body habitus and appeared comfortable at rest.’
- ‘On the contrary, experiences of anorexia drew directly from people's habitus, from their everyday relationships and experiences with people, places, food, bodies, sexuality and gender relations.’
- ‘Not all x-rays were readable because his habitus (ie, body build) sometimes interfered with the area that needed examination.’
- ‘Research is needed to determine the efficacy and cost-effectiveness of alternative means for detecting conditions not amenable to physical examination because of a patient's body habitus.’
- ‘On physical examination, the patient's vital signs (particularly temperature and blood pressure) and body habitus should be noted.’
- ‘This border varies in position according to body habitus as well as disease.’
- ‘Their large body habitus and comorbidities render them high-risk surgical candidates requiring thorough planning and implementation of care.’
- ‘Some people - especially women - may switch to vegetarianism as a means of restricting energy intake to attain the lean body habitus favored in some sports.’
- ‘Just as we all vary in height and body habitus, everyone has their own personal maximum heart rate genetically ‘hardwired’.’
- ‘Their large body habitus and associated serious comorbidities make patients who are morbidly obese high-risk surgical candidates who require careful planning and implementation of patient care.’
- ‘We investigated these and other measures of body habitus as potential confounders.’
- ‘However, until the millipede specimens described herein were discovered there was no concrete morphological evidence to support the terrestrial habitus of the oldest millipedes.’
Late 19th century: from Latin.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.