One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Used to express surprise, suspicion, triumph, or some other emotion.
- ‘God only knows what he would have made of crazed magicians reading numerological significance into his work, hah!’
- ‘You can still see the swollen gland in my neck, but I think I've kicked this thing, hah!’
- ‘As a civilized man with responsibilities, of course, I cannot stray too far from my norms - hah!’
- ‘And they laughed when they saw me wearing my tinfoil hat, hah!’
- ‘Easy money, though. Hah, it was an extremely silly movie, especially the skateboarding evil security expert.’
- ‘But in case anyone gets the idea that this site is doomed to drift off into disrepair and disinterest, hah!’
- ‘At least they know what goes on around the place, hah.’
- ‘My great grandfather was a hell raiser and a rum runner - hah!’
- ‘This year I turn 23 in the year 2003 (2 and 3, hah!) and I was born on June 17, and when you add 6 plus 17 you get 23.’
- ‘And then I started laughing, and she looked up at me and did this very happy ‘Hah hah hah!’’
- ‘They'll pore over transcripts from some news conference, looking for the two-bit money quote: ah hah!’
- ‘Or else She will make sure they don't have power to run them anyway, hah!’
- ‘Most credit cards charge an annual interest rate of 15% or more, so another 0.25% won't make much difference, hah!’
- ‘Though as I write this I notice that I am changing the focus to the future in typically western style. Hah!’
- ‘By the way, I've been meaning to write this for about a month now, so hah!’
- ‘‘Ah hah,’ I said, not knowing what the hell he was talking about.’
- ‘The ship leaves tomorrow, hopefully there will be no more surprises before then… hah… hopefully.’
- ‘There is no way I can keep my end of the bargain… wait… he never kept his, so hah!’
- ‘Agreeing that from time to time we need a bit of help from outside, we ask for the occasional ‘ah hah!’’
Natural utterance: first recorded in Middle English.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.