One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A ridge or fold between two clefts on the cerebral surface in the brain.
twist, turn, coil, spiral, twirl, curl, helix, whorl, loop, curlicue, kink, sinuosityView synonyms
- ‘The configuration of white and gray matter of the dentate gyrus and hippocampus is distinctive.’
- ‘Those connecting neighboring cerebral gyri are clearly seen.’
- ‘Another branch, the sulcus angularis, may be axial to the angular gyrus, and it may be continuous with the superior temporal sulcus.’
- ‘Lateral to the dentate gyrus, the temporal horn of the lateral ventricle has been opened to expose its choroid plexus, which is involved in the production of cerebrospinal fluid.’
- ‘And in that task, the control children show a great deal of activation in the middle and inferior frontal gyrus and in the parietal lobes towards the top and back of the brain, would be the parietal area.’
- ‘It has been dissected out from the inferior part of the cingulate gyrus in which, for the most part, it is embedded.’
- ‘Specific regions of each cerebral hemisphere, with their unique folds and grooves (respectively called gyri and sulci), are responsible for the movements of a particular body part.’
- ‘On each side, the gyrus rectus of the frontal lobe is well developed and the orbital gyri are arranged irregularly around the H-shaped orbital sulci.’
- ‘Telling the truth however causes activity in the frontal lobe, temporal lobe and cingulate gyrus.’
- ‘It receives inputs from the hippocampus, amygdala, cingulate gyrus, temporal cortex, and orbitofrontal cortex.’
- ‘Males activated right medial frontal gyrus and inferior parietal lobe.’
- ‘The cerebellum has on its surface a series of tight folds, called folia, similar to, but narrower than, the gyri of the cerebral cortex.’
- ‘The orbital part of the frontal lobe and the gyrus rectus are seen.’
- ‘Another region of neuron formation is the dentate gyrus, where a special type of neuron, the granule cell, is generated.’
- ‘The brain weighed 1380 g and showed diffusely swollen cerebral hemispheres with marked flattening of the gyri throughout the convexities.’
- ‘Cortical tubers, or benign potato-like growths, appear along the gyri and sulci in the brain.’
- ‘The superior temporal gyrus is subdivided into two or more obliquely running, short, transverse temporal gyri.’
- ‘They have observed the growth of neurons in the dentate gyrus, a portion of the hippocampus (which controls learning and short term memory), in mice that were placed in a stimulating environment.’
- ‘After their excision, the insula appears as a triangular eminence that is marked by a number of sulci and gyri.’
- ‘The cingulate gyrus has profuse reciprocal connections with the anterior thalamic nuclei and is an important constituent of the limbic system.’
- ‘A comparison of the brain scans from the two groups revealed significant differences in the volume of gray matter in areas of the frontal and temporal lobes and the cingulate gyrus.’
Mid 19th century: from Latin, from Greek guros ‘a ring’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.