One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A gyrocompass used to provide automatic steering for a ship or aircraft.
- ‘From the gyrocompass, Sperry developed the gyropilot for steering ships and the automatic gyropilot for stabilizing airplanes.’
- ‘A central optical bearing device and a gyropilot repeater compass may be arranged in the fore and aft parts, respectively, of the middle console.’
- ‘Also installed was a gyrocompass system complete with master compass, steering and bearing repeaters and gyropilot for steering sounding lines.’
- ‘In most ocean-going vessels the gyrocompass is connected electrically to a gyropilot, a device that automatically steers the ship, keeping it on course in accordance with signals from the gyrocompass.’
- ‘The gyropilot is so expert that it gives passengers a smoother ride than can the pilot himself.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.