One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Of or involving circular or spiral motion.
rotating, rotatory, rotational, revolving, turning, spinning, gyrating, whirlingView synonyms
- ‘When he first saw her perform he was so impressed with her arm - flailing and gyratory motions that he incorporated them into his own static stage act.’
- ‘The town council opted instead for a full gyratory system, which it wanted to see tried out for three months.’
- ‘Cultures were grown on a gyratory shaker in darkness at 221°C.’
- ‘The town refused to support the plans, saying it wanted a full gyratory system tried for three months.’
- ‘Traffic swirls round this nightmarish gyratory system where five major streets meet, the road up to seven lanes wide.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.