One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A business establishment, especially a store, that has a reputation for cheating customers by charging exorbitant prices for inferior goods or services.‘a 42nd Street gyp joint’
- ‘So go she did, working every gyp joint and watering hole from here to California.’
- ‘That's what I did in gyp joints and was never stopped when I walked out.’
- ‘What kind of gyp joint is this?’
- ‘They'd just arrived and already it was dawning on them that this vacation wasn't going to be romantic adventure, it was going to be a forced march from one gyp joint to the next.’
- ‘God knows I just keep sucking it in every time the owner of one of those gyp joints tells me ‘no refunds no returns!’’
2A gambling establishment in which the games are run dishonestly.
- ‘Why are there no bills being passed to protect the players at these ‘legalized’ gambling gyp joints?’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.