One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Enlargement of a man's breasts, usually due to hormone imbalance or hormone therapy.
- ‘He acknowledged that gynaecomastia - breast growth - could develop with patches, and impotence was also a risk.’
- ‘Side effects may include impotence, decreased libido, breast tenderness, gynecomastia, and ejaculation disorders.’
- ‘The patients past medical history included hypertension, coronary artery disease, glaucoma, and gynecomastia of the left breast.’
- ‘Men who develop gynecomastia often fear that they are at higher risk for breast cancer.’
- ‘However, this hormone is extremely expensive, and its adverse effects include carpal tunnel syndrome, headache, arthralgias, myalgias and gynecomastia.’
- ‘Some types of liver disease and cancers of several types can produce gynecomastia.’
- ‘False gynaecomastia or pseudo gynaecomastia is simply breast enlargement due to fatty tissue, and that is incredibly common of course, particularly as men get older.’
- ‘The physical examination should focus primarily on signs of liver disease other than jaundice, including bruising, spider angiomas, gynecomastia, testicular atrophy, and palmar erythema.’
- ‘Klinefelter's syndrome is often marked by gynecomastia, an enlargement of the breast tissue, which Giordano says may also turn out to be a risk factor.’
- ‘This article provides details of 7 cases whose profiles resembled findings that have been described in male breasts with gynecomastia.’
- ‘There was mild gynecomastia, but there were no other stigmata of chronic liver disease.’
- ‘Others experience pain and tenderness in the breasts, which can be a symptom of gynecomastia.’
- ‘Most swelling that men experience is benign gynecomastia.’
- ‘The term gynecomastia is used to describe male breast enlargement.’
- ‘Androgen deprivation did not prove beneficial and has adverse effects such as osteoporosis, weight gain, hot flushes, gynecomastia, impotence and loss of libido.’
- ‘Long-term spironolactone therapy has been limited because of its adverse effects, that is, impotence, gynecomastia, hirsutism.’
- ‘If you have gynaecomastia, the doctor will usually be able to feel a smooth disk-shaped lump behind the nipple; whereas cancerous lumps are usually more bumpy and uneven.’
- ‘In the chest men often develop fat deposits around the breasts, a condition called gynecomastia.’
- ‘The clinical differential diagnosis included leukemic infiltration of the breast, gynecomastia, and carcinoma.’
- ‘Further, serotonin blockade prevents dopamine from increasing prolactin levels thereby relieving patients of the adverse effects of galactorrhea, amenorrhea, and gynecomastia.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.