One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Rule by women or a woman.
- ‘Other faculties have been developed or have appeared needful for communal safety and prosperity, and thus it has come about that the government of these emmet societies, as with bees, hornets, and wasps, is really a gynarchy, or government by females.’
- ‘Indeed, the jealous mothers of the gynarchies of the past would often step in between their sons and their wives in order to keep them tied to themselves - as, for instance, Augustine's mother did when she made him dismiss his concubine, who had lived faithfully with him for years.’
- ‘With fitting irony, Maurice leaves Isa pregnant with a daughter to carry on the cycle of gynarchy.’
- ‘And once again, as I said in my previous comment, things may need to get worse before they get better - so, let things slide deeper and deeper into gynarchy until it hits the brick wall of natural limitations with a horrendous crash!’
- ‘If that's not enough for you, then you might take a look at the domains of gynarchy and mysticism of murderous amazons.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.