One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A plant that has seeds unprotected by an ovary or fruit. Gymnosperms include the conifers, cycads, and ginkgo.
Subdivision Gymnospermae, division SpermatophytaCompare with angiosperm
- ‘Moreover, since the expression pattern is similar in a gymnosperm and in an angiosperm this function appears to be evolutionarily conserved.’
- ‘The known flora consists of 41 ferns and fern allies, 3 gymnosperms, 291 monocots, and 516 dicots.’
- ‘Among the plant branches, there were several supported groupings representing only gymnosperms or conifers.’
- ‘Taxonomists can now say that the ferns' closest cousins are the seed plants - angiosperms (flowering plants) and gymnosperms (such as conifers).’
- ‘Simple trichomes are present on aerial surfaces of most angiosperms and on some gymnosperms and bryophytes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.