One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A seamount with a flat top.
- ‘What remains is an underwater mountain called a guyot.’
- ‘As the ocean crust spread away from the higher ocean ridges, the guyots sank below sea level, becoming completely submerged.’
- ‘Seamounts whose peaks have eroded and become a flat surface are called guyots.’
- ‘After the war he continued researching guyots and midocean ridges, as well as various mineral studies.’
- ‘Study of sedimentary sequences capping the guyots, comprised of a shallow water carbonate buildup,’
1940s: named after Arnold H. Guyot (1807–84), Swiss geographer.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.