One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Having drops or droplike markings.
mottled, dappled, dapple, pied, piebald, brindled, brindle, speckled, speckly, flecked, specked, stippledView synonyms
- ‘Usually, guttate psoriasis must be differentiated from pityriasis rosea, another condition characterized by the sudden outbreak of red scaly lesions.’
- ‘Other conditions in the differential diagnosis include diffuse nummular eczema, tinea corporis, pityriasis lichenoides, guttate psoriasis, viral exanthem, lichen planus, and medication reaction.’
- ‘Other papulosquamous disorders should be considered in the differential diagnosis, including guttate psoriasis, pityriasis rosea, and discoid lupus erythematosus.’
- ‘These are called idiopathic guttate hypomelanosis and are absolutely benign and represent an ageing change in the skin.’
- ‘One bird has guttate spots on the forehead and wing, suggesting that it was in its first year. all others in the type series must be considered adults.’
- 1.1 In the form of or resembling drops.
Early 19th century: from Latin guttatus ‘speckled’, from gutta ‘a drop’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.