Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Extremely unpleasant or upsetting.‘the film is a gut-wrenching portrait of domestic violence’
upsetting, worrying, affecting, painful, traumatic, agonizing, harrowing, tormentingView synonyms
- ‘Her father said: ‘It's a really difficult time. It's gut-wrenching for all of us.’’
- ‘She felt she had no other option; it was a gut-wrenching decision.’
- ‘In his moment of gut-wrenching disappointment, Taylor said all the right things in congratulating the winning candidates.’
- ‘It is gut-wrenching stuff, with raspy vocals that constantly upset the balance between inner-strength and genuine heartbreak.’
- ‘‘It was gut-wrenching to learn of her murder in your paper,’ she said.’
- ‘It is perhaps a bit strange that this week, after losing by a bigger margin, the disappointment is not quite so gut-wrenching.’
- ‘At night she would wake up with nightmares and her shrieks were gut-wrenching.’
- ‘It was only hours later, after a gut-wrenching search through the body-strewn resort, that they found him alive.’
- ‘Yesterday's set of exquisitely correct opinions concluded with a statement about his gut-wrenching detestation of war.’
- ‘It is a gut-wrenching cry that can apparently signify great joy or extreme pain.’
- ‘Her struggle with the drought is gut-wrenching and the ending heartbreaking.’
- ‘There was no disguising the stunned faces of the 24 players for whom every gut-wrenching hole had the atmosphere of the last in a major championship.’
- ‘The initial shock and disbelief at the news was replaced by a gut-wrenching amalgamation of loss, tears and anger.’
- ‘They still had to survive some gut-wrenching moments after that.’
- ‘In battle, gut-wrenching fear was the dominant emotion.’
- ‘Her quivering sobs are more the stuff of movies than of daily serials which offer more intrigue than gut-wrenching emotion.’
- ‘I gave one final, gut-wrenching, adrenaline-pumped heave.’
- ‘It was gut-wrenching to see the nurse's eyes - an endless and genuine depth of care, affection and love as she adjusted the blanket and stroked Gran's hair.’
- ‘And now she brings us the gut-wrenching story of another remarkable young lady.’
- ‘It was a gut-wrenching climax to yet another nerve-jangling afternoon.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.