One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An airplane or a helicopter heavily armed with machine guns or with machine guns and cannon, providing air support for ground troops in combat.
- ‘He said that helicopter gunships and navy patrol boats had strafed the communities, and that scores of civilians had been killed.’
- ‘In the meantime, there were repeated air strikes on the city from US warplanes and helicopter gunships.’
- ‘The remaining fighters could offer little resistance against helicopter gunships, tanks and overwhelming troop numbers.’
- ‘Later, coordinated tactics between gunships and other helicopters led to the use of color-coded teams.’
- ‘It stands to reason that the Philippine armed forces contained the rebellion by pounding the rebels with helicopter gunships and bombers.’
- ‘Helicopter gunships over the city made repeated dives at clusters of fighters, and artillery was brought in for the first time.’
- ‘Army helicopter gunships and MiG fighter planes lead the attacks but cannot distinguish between hardened officers and fresh abductees.’
- ‘Just beyond the camp is a large airfield where dozens of helicopter gunships and MiG fighter jets are protected by concrete bomb shelters.’
- ‘The warplanes and helicopter gunships were ready, their crews primed to deliver precision strikes.’
- ‘Government forces used mortars, helicopter gunships and airplanes to bombard rebel positions.’
- ‘They were supplied with weapons and air support from helicopter gunships and Antonov bombers.’
- ‘A government office that had been taken over by the militiamen and used to store ammunition was strafed by a helicopter gunship and then reduced to rubble by tank fire.’
- ‘Helicopter gunships and jet fighters used the opportunity to carry out strafing and bombing runs over suspected Iraqi positions.’
- ‘Under the covering fire of the gunships, troop-carrying helicopters raced into the airstrip.’
- ‘The warplane strike and the helicopter gunship have become prime weapons in the US war against the urban guerrillas.’
- ‘The city was also pounded by fire from helicopter gunships, jet fighters, tanks and machine guns.’
- ‘US forces are again bombing people in Baghdad and strafing them from helicopter gunships.’
- ‘American fighter aircraft and helicopter gunships launched airstrikes against insurgent positions.’
- ‘Tight control of jet aircraft and helicopter gunships is necessary to avoid fratricide.’
- ‘Tanks and helicopter gunships exchanged fire with hundreds of armed men in the camp.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.