One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A manufacturer of guns.
- ‘But then it was extremely rare to find a gunmaker who made an entire gun himself; it generally took three or four working together.’
- ‘The external parts are polished to a 400-grit finish and final finish and heat-treating is the responsibility of the gunmaker.’
- ‘Caywood's rifle is built exactly as the original was when Davy took it from the scarred and stained hands of a gunmaker so long ago, and thus it's something like shaking hands with history.’
- ‘No other manufacturer could submit a gun with a firing pin safety without a license from Colt, a rather significant advantage for the Hartford gunmaker.’
- ‘The woods are full of gunmakers who have the guts to resist!’
- ‘I'm not backing down, so the gunmakers and shop owners had better get used to my face and my name.’
- ‘Major gunmakers naturally wanted a share of the bolt-action market.’
- ‘And that sort of stuff ain't easy for a gunmaker to accomplish.’
- ‘The rich, dark soil has rewarded you with fine tobacco crops and you've indulged yourself by ordering a fowling piece from the local gunmaker.’
- ‘Along the way, I became a gunmaker specializing in single-shot and lever-action rifles.’
- ‘Beginning about 1815, a distinctive style of pistol emerged as Philadelphia gunmakers began to cater to wealthy, cosmopolitan clients with highly decorated pairs of pistols.’
- ‘Jack Brooks is a gunmaker in the truest sense of the word.’
- ‘However, the most radical element of the British gunmaker's design lies hidden under the synthetic stock.’
- ‘There was a bright side to the ruling by the California Supreme Court protecting gunmakers from being sued - the trial helped showcase the creative advertising efforts of America's assault gun industry.’
- ‘Some were sporters built by the factory; others began as military surplus, with the action or barreled action serving as a base around which talented gunmakers made fine custom sporters.’
- ‘With the coming of stainless steel and the tougher and tougher environmental restrictions on all manufacturers, nickel plating is fast disappearing as an option offered by gunmakers.’
- ‘But the demands of American shooters and the ingenuity of American gunmakers have wrought a transformation.’
- ‘The funny thing about European gunmakers is a propensity to drop all parts and service upon discontinuing a gun model.’
- ‘The German luxury car giant has given the Austrian gunmaker until the first of the year to vacate the premises.’
- ‘Shortly after that article appeared, Bill went from gunsmith to gunmaker as he opened the doors of Texas Longhorn Arms.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.