Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A highly nitrated form of nitrocellulose, used as an explosive.
- ‘Consequently, nitroglycerin went largely unnoticed for many years, while the manufacture and use of guncotton, despite several notorious accidents, spread throughout Europe.’
- ‘Working in the professor's private laboratory Gladstone produced, first, a report on the analysis of sand from a Normandy beach, and then in 1847 a paper on the explosive guncotton, just a year after its discovery by Christian Schönbein.’
- ‘In this hole a 2 1/4lb charge of guncotton, with detonator and fuse attached, was placed and the sand was heaped back.’
- ‘A volume of the air to be examined is filtered through guncotton which is soluble in a mixture of alcohol and ether.’
- ‘Nitrogen is an important component of common chemical explosives like TNT, nitroglycerin, gunpowder, guncotton, nitrocellulose, picric acid, and ammonium nitrate.’
- ‘Cellulose trinitrate on the other hand is an explosive (guncotton). Cordite is made from guncotton and nitroglycerine.’
- ‘The discovery that directly supplanted gunpowder for use in firearms was guncotton, a forerunner of smokeless powder.’
- ‘In that same year, the British patented a combination of 58 percent nitroglycerin, 37 percent guncotton, and 5 percent vaseline.’
- ‘Dynamite (based on nitroglycerine) and guncotton (based on nitrocellulose) not only kept the DuPont company in the forefront of explosives but introduced it to real chemistry.’
- ‘An early experiment with collodion (a mixture of guncotton, ethyl alcohol, and ether) produced billiard balls that burst into flame when touched with a lighted cigar; and occasionally exploded when two balls collided.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.