One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A groove or track along which something moves.
- ‘The airport's ‘Skylink’ train cars are connected to airport terminals via 4.81 miles of guideway, elevated at an average of 50-feet.’
- ‘The guideway is 75 feet high in some areas and averages 50 feet above the tarmac.’
- ‘Instead of using an engine to power the train, electrified coils in the guideway walls and ‘track’ also push against each other to create a magnetic field - propelling the train forward.’
- ‘It would take a phased deployment over about 40 years to realize a complete deployment of electrical guideways and dual mode vehicles.’
- ‘Linear guideways with integrated encoders save time, space and eliminate the risk of damage by contaminants.’
- ‘Elevated guideways look sleek in computer renderings, but are less elegant, with thickened columns, electric conduits and emergency walkways.’
- ‘The Schneeberger Minirail series is a family of robust, two-row miniature guideways made from stainless steel, ideal for compact environments.’
- ‘The jobs would come from building guideways, or tracks, needed for the electromagnetic train.’
- ‘To make room for the guideway, an old control tower had to be removed.’
- ‘This invention relates to machine tools and more specifically to the assembly of guideways onto a bed of a grinding machine.’
- ‘Most of the costs are from guideways and stations that are already required for the dual-direction system design.’
- ‘These small-scale, narrow linear guideways are tiny and lightweight, thus suitable for miniature equipment.’
- ‘A single vehicle will shuttle along a 1-mile elevated guideway at 40 mph.’
- ‘The machine has a sliding Z-axis that employs a digital ballscrew drive; the X-axis has hydrostatic guideways.’
- ‘Equipped with sealed and pressurized linear guideways and ball screws, a high-speed graphite-machining center is suitable for working with small electrodes that requires intricate tooling.’
- ‘This study includes examples of the design of different types of support columns and guideways for three different street types, representing a variety of problems and possibilities.’
- ‘Existing road and utility rights of way should suffice for the guideways.’
- ‘The tape can be applied quickly and easily at any stage of machine building, with a special applicator ensuring parallelism with axis guideways.’
- ‘But rather than lose the federal funding that was already approved for the ITSG, the airport authority went ahead with the first half of the guideway.’
- ‘The five-mile precast guideway, 50 ft high, required 30,000 night gate closures, airfield work and 300,000 sq ft of terminal renovation.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.