One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A dog trained to lead a blind person.
- ‘The advert depicted a guide dog deliberately leading its blind owner into a pole in order to get at her take-away chicken.’
- ‘I had assumed that there was no way for him to be able to do this simple task himself, without realising that this would be one of the situations that a guide dog would be trained to deal with.’
- ‘This year marks the eighth year to climb a mountain as a challenge, and in doing so, will raise funds to train a guide dog to give someone an independent life.’
- ‘She also plans to put on curry and Chinese nights and start a charity appeal to buy a guide dog for the blind.’
- ‘And I use the word ‘trained’ in the same sense as I would if the student were a horse, or a guide dog for the blind.’
- ‘My wife, Sylvia, who has been blind since birth and her guide dog are devoted to each other and go everywhere together.’
- ‘It takes 18 months before a guide dog is fully trained.’
- ‘This is the story of a guide dog for the blind, embellished with beautiful black-and-white photos.’
- ‘It's been mentioned to me that the owner of the guide dog, being blind, can't be ‘watching’ the show.’
- ‘Guide dogs are provided free of charge to our clients, but it takes two years to train a guide dog, at a cost of 7,000.’
- ‘It costs £35,000 to rear and train a guide dog and then look after it throughout its retirement.’
- ‘An elderly blind woman and her guide dog were targeted by thugs who shot fireworks at them.’
- ‘I wonder what would happen if a blind man with a guide dog attempt to board his bus?’
- ‘Well after all, a guide dog could lead you safely out of the desert if you were lost.’
- ‘The Labrador Retriever is also often selected as a guide dog for the blind.’
- ‘There were 95 incidents of fireworks being used as a weapon and the victims included three cats and six dogs, including a guide dog, two horses and a lamb.’
- ‘Police had to escort fire engines in Bradford because there was a fear of ambush and an elderly blind woman with her guide dog had rockets fired at them.’
- ‘It costs 35,000 to train and keep a guide dog during its working life.’
- ‘Its steady, amiable temperament makes it a dependable guide dog for the blind.’
- ‘Three firefighters are taking the plunge to help pay for a new guide dog for the blind.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.