One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A dog trained to lead a blind person.
- ‘This is the story of a guide dog for the blind, embellished with beautiful black-and-white photos.’
- ‘It's been mentioned to me that the owner of the guide dog, being blind, can't be ‘watching’ the show.’
- ‘The Labrador Retriever is also often selected as a guide dog for the blind.’
- ‘Guide dogs are provided free of charge to our clients, but it takes two years to train a guide dog, at a cost of 7,000.’
- ‘It costs £35,000 to rear and train a guide dog and then look after it throughout its retirement.’
- ‘There were 95 incidents of fireworks being used as a weapon and the victims included three cats and six dogs, including a guide dog, two horses and a lamb.’
- ‘The advert depicted a guide dog deliberately leading its blind owner into a pole in order to get at her take-away chicken.’
- ‘My wife, Sylvia, who has been blind since birth and her guide dog are devoted to each other and go everywhere together.’
- ‘Three firefighters are taking the plunge to help pay for a new guide dog for the blind.’
- ‘She also plans to put on curry and Chinese nights and start a charity appeal to buy a guide dog for the blind.’
- ‘It costs 35,000 to train and keep a guide dog during its working life.’
- ‘This year marks the eighth year to climb a mountain as a challenge, and in doing so, will raise funds to train a guide dog to give someone an independent life.’
- ‘I wonder what would happen if a blind man with a guide dog attempt to board his bus?’
- ‘Its steady, amiable temperament makes it a dependable guide dog for the blind.’
- ‘I had assumed that there was no way for him to be able to do this simple task himself, without realising that this would be one of the situations that a guide dog would be trained to deal with.’
- ‘Police had to escort fire engines in Bradford because there was a fear of ambush and an elderly blind woman with her guide dog had rockets fired at them.’
- ‘And I use the word ‘trained’ in the same sense as I would if the student were a horse, or a guide dog for the blind.’
- ‘Well after all, a guide dog could lead you safely out of the desert if you were lost.’
- ‘It takes 18 months before a guide dog is fully trained.’
- ‘An elderly blind woman and her guide dog were targeted by thugs who shot fireworks at them.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.