Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The process or results of guessing.
guessing, conjecture, surmise, supposition, assumption, presumption, suspicion, speculation, hypothesizing, theorizing, prediction, expectationapproximations, rough calculationsfeelings, hunchesguesstimatesballpark figuresView synonyms
- ‘As a result, he said, intelligence was mainly ‘inferential’ - that means guesswork.’
- ‘We know she has a sense of humour, we know she likes animals, but other than that, regardless of how much research you do, it's really all guesswork.’
- ‘In the meantime, a certain amount of guesswork appears inevitable.’
- ‘If we heeded all the hype, accidents would be eliminated, yet this involves too much speculation and guesswork.’
- ‘We don't, but we cannot go to war on guesswork, hypothesis and speculation.’
- ‘The cards were completed laboriously and with a fair amount of guesswork.’
- ‘All too often in this book, the author is forced to fall back on her own suppositions and general guesswork.’
- ‘It may be that a certain amount of guesswork was involved.’
- ‘Details of the deal were not disclosed by the principals or anyone else connected with it - a reason why there was so much guesswork in the press last week.’
- ‘But this is only guesswork and it is hoped that an expert from one of the universities might be enlisted to help solve the problem.’
- ‘Well, that was just guesswork, so I decided to make myself really depressed and run a spreadsheet on it.’
- ‘So there's a certain amount of guesswork or predicting that goes into it.’
- ‘While there is a fair bit of guesswork and assumption involved, parties reckon they can narrow down who voted for them and who didn't.’
- ‘They are entirely guesswork, speculative and based on unsound mathematics designed to promote the private healthcare system.’
- ‘There's a huge amount of educated guesswork involved in these chronologies.’
- ‘Plus, all drawings are full-size, so there is no guesswork involved.’
- ‘In practice this is largely going to be a matter of guesswork though so you can't really plan too deeply.’
- ‘But how many of them are left in the rest of Africa is guesswork, and as a result, their decline may be easily overlooked.’
- ‘However, I'll add a disclaimer to say that everything here is just conjecture and guesswork, if you know otherwise then let me know.’
- ‘We can effectively only work with reported numbers, as the total number of cases is guesswork.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.