One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘But they do so very guardedly, and it would sound like profane apologetics if transmitted live. So the analytical moment, if there is to be one, has been indefinitely postponed.’
- ‘Without denying the range of challenges that face all political parties - from left to right - which seek to engage the public actively in issues of government and governance, the conclusion of the conference was guardedly optimistic.’
- ‘This means that there will be major upheavals at the level of the constituency and I use the word upheaval guardedly, because there are several constituencies that will no longer exist.’
- ‘We expect this to continue into the next quarter and, barring any about turns in the world economy, we remain guardedly optimistic for the remainder of the year.’
- ‘But I also tell them that I am guardedly optimistic.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.