Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Each of a pair of curved cells that surround a stoma, becoming larger or smaller according to the pressure within the cells.
- ‘The inner anticlinal wall of the guard cell is the ventral wall.’
- ‘Major questions therefore remain unanswered on how water stress signals perceived at root and leaf locations are integrated at the guard cell to control stomatal behaviour.’
- ‘The best documented system so far is the stomatal guard cell where two anion channels from the plasma membrane have been extensively characterized.’
- ‘This will reduce the apoplastic pH and allow the uptake of K + and other ions into the guard cells so that, when aquaporins are opened, water will flow into the guard cell to initiate stomatal opening.’
- ‘Of the various cell types that have been used to study stimulus-induced oscillations in [Ca 2 +] cyt, the guard cell has emerged as the most intensively used system.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.