One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Each of a pair of curved cells that surround a stoma, becoming larger or smaller according to the pressure within the cells.
- ‘The inner anticlinal wall of the guard cell is the ventral wall.’
- ‘Of the various cell types that have been used to study stimulus-induced oscillations in [Ca 2 +] cyt, the guard cell has emerged as the most intensively used system.’
- ‘This will reduce the apoplastic pH and allow the uptake of K + and other ions into the guard cells so that, when aquaporins are opened, water will flow into the guard cell to initiate stomatal opening.’
- ‘Major questions therefore remain unanswered on how water stress signals perceived at root and leaf locations are integrated at the guard cell to control stomatal behaviour.’
- ‘The best documented system so far is the stomatal guard cell where two anion channels from the plasma membrane have been extensively characterized.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.