One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A strongly basic crystalline compound, used in organic synthesis.
An imide derived from urea; chemical formula: HNC(NH₂)₂
- ‘RNA extraction was performed by the guanidine hydrochloride method.’
- ‘However, experience with guanidine and biguanides prompted the development of metformin.’
- ‘Galega officinalis is rich in guanidine, the hypoglycemic component.’
- ‘Although a molecule of guanidine contains only five hydrogen atoms, it can effectively store nine by extracting hydrogen from the water recovered from the exhaust.’
- ‘When guanidine hydrochloride is present these complexes dissociate into smaller units.’
Mid 19th century: from guano + -ide + -ine.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.