One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A dish of mashed avocado mixed with chopped onion, tomatoes, chili peppers, and seasoning.
- ‘Fresh ingredients, creamy guacamole and zingy seasonings combine for delicious flavor.’
- ‘Your choices are: pan-fried onion, hummus, eggplant spread, sun-dried tomato, and guacamole.’
- ‘Both come with rice, a fresh tomato, cucumber and bocconcini salad, guacamole, and a handful of corn chips.’
- ‘If you've only eaten avocados in guacamole, try them in salads, too, where they'll add richness and flavor.’
- ‘You're asked how spicy you'd like your first-rate, made-to-order guacamole, and that's how it comes.’
- ‘I have to go make homemade guacamole and sun-dried tomato dip, scarf down dinner, vacuum, shower and dress myself.’
- ‘Perhaps the best-known avocado dish is guacamole.’
- ‘The dish did come with some great guacamole, seasoned rice, and a salad of lettuce and shredded carrot with a creamy dressing.’
- ‘Here, too, were all the usual suspects: tortillas, guacamole, salsa, cheese and refried beans - it is a Mexican restaurant, after all.’
- ‘They came with small dishes of salsa, guacamole and sour cream.’
- ‘But it's a frankfurter served up Chilean-style, and that means a liberal topping of chopped tomatoes, guacamole and mayonnaise.’
- ‘Top salads and sandwiches with avocados or guacamole.’
- ‘Once we got to the beach, the rain tapered to a slight drizzle and we had our lunch of fajitas and quesadillas topped with fresh guacamole and a choice of mild or hot salsa.’
- ‘So, smear the wrap or sandwich with guacamole, hummus, coleslaw or tzatziki and add in some salami, tinned tuna or grated farmhouse cheddar.’
- ‘Out goes cranberry sauce and in come chicken wings, chips, guacamole, pizza and beer.’
- ‘Even the chips are the real deal; I inevitably end up eating more than I mean to, usually with a side of respectable chile con queso or guacamole.’
- ‘Forget all those bastardisations of potato skins that have been deep-fried and smeared in guacamole.’
- ‘Burgers, with toppings like guacamole, blue cheese, and grilled onions, are served alongside thick potato wedges.’
- ‘We'd have margaritas and eat chips and guacamole.’
- ‘For starters, there's freshly mashed guacamole or tortilla soup.’
Latin American Spanish, from Nahuatl ahuacamolli, from ahuacatl ‘avocado’ + molli ‘sauce’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.