One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A fish that makes a grunting noise, especially when caught.Related grunt
hog, boar, sow, porker, swine, pigletView synonyms
- ‘Fish species such as galjoen, white steenbras and spotted grunter that feed within the intertidal zone cannot survive where the beach has been denuded.’
- ‘I have it on good authority that spotted grunters are coming on the bite in all our local estuaries right now.’
- ‘The result was a 3kg grunter for their fry and a fish eagle having to look further afield for its meal.’
- ‘In the sometimes-translucent streams beneath us, we can see bream, catfish and grunters as well as pig-nosed turtles, thought, until recently, only to exist in Papua New Guinea.’
- ‘And then there were the dead fish, mostly grunter, leervis and silvies, I believe, caused apparently by a sudden drop in salinity as the whirlpools mixed fresh water with salty.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.